Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DNS

So after some conversations with the ELF as well as a few heart to hearts with my soul, wife and friends, I decided to pull out of Pacific Grove. In the end, it was the right call. My leg has been slow to heal and it simply wasn't ready for a race on Saturday. I actually went down to watch the race and cheer people on, and took the kids to the Monterey Aquarium. Just the walking around hurt my leg so I know I made the right call not to race. It's just not worth a longer term injury for an Oly distance race.

Coach says that I should just take a couple of weeks off and get some treatment, so I'm going to do that. I've got my eye on a race in October that looks like fun- the Marin County Triathlon. It looks like a good course, and it's a benefit race for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, so that's a win-win. I should be back & healthy by the end of October.

I think I learned a lot with this process. I really needed to listen to my body on this one and realize that the one day I miss doesn't erase all the hard work I've done this summer. I went back to my initial goals for the year, and my biggest one was to get my body race-ready, so I could race strong in 2011. I think I achieved that goal and then some. I probably got ahead of myself as I was getting great results this summer and thought I could go out and have a breakthrough result at Pac Grove, but it wasn't meant to be. My fitness level is getting there, but the hamstring setback wouldn't allow for it. Such is life!!!

So I've actually been enjoying a few days off. It's starting to drive me a little crazy, but I know it's the right thing to do for my body. I'll see the doctor this Friday and go from there!

In the meantime, I've been inspired by reading all the Iron stories out there from Wisconsin. Another good friend just signed up for IM Canada next year. While it's tempting, I'm going to wait at least another year until the kids get a little bigger. Ironman isn't going anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment