Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Not quite according to plan....

So yesterday was my son's first day of Kindergarten- big day all around. He was really excited and had a great first day. With him in school and my wife back teaching, we're officially back in our "work groove", with all the new schedule implications. The new twist this year is that I get drop off duty at school, as it's right down the street from my office, so we divide and conquer, with my daughter going to day care w/ her mom, and my little man coming with me. My wife and I were chatting last night trying to figure out our schedules, and we decided I'd get up early tomorrow so I could do my run/ride brick and she'd tackle the kids when they got up until I got back. She'd do her run later in the evening.

Not so fast- our daughter had other ideas. I was just waking up- about 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off ironically, when she started screaming at the top of her lungs. It's 5am mind you. This child was not to be screwed with, and she wanted Mom and Dad this morning. So after some attempts to feed her we gave up and had a group hug on the couch. It wasn't too long before the little man joined us and there we were, all four of us on the couch together at 6am. Great! A nice family moment, but it won't get me any faster.

I finally rallied and got my run gear on- I needed to do 30 minutes easy today with an hour on the bike after. Fortunately, there was flexiblity in the schedule to do them at separate times. The good news is I got the run in before work. The bad news is I'm going to have to do the ride after work in 100 degree heat. Joy.

But this is how a parent becomes a triathlete again! I have to roll with the punches- even when I'm getting sucker-punched by a 2-year-old...

1 comment:

  1. I respect triathlete parents HUGE! It is a handful without! Way to go for getting it done!

    ReplyDelete